Monday, January 28, 2019

POEMS ABOUT LOSS


I :Welcome to America, Little Boy

“Where are we going, Mama?”
I asked you and held out my arms
and you picked me up and cuddled me.

Why are we leaving Papa and Maria behind?
Mama said “Shh. We’ll see them soon.”
I held out my arms to her but she turned away.

Then I said, “Mama?” and
she came back and hugged me.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

“I’m tired, Mama, pick me up!”
Mama said “you must be a good,
strong little man, chiquito.
Now I’ll sing you a song
while we walk, okay?”

I was good and I nodded my head,
but I was so very tired.
We walked a lot and lay down
by the side of the road when
we had to sleep.

I missed my room and Papa and Maria,
but I was good and didn’t say anything
and ate the food that Mama gave me,
even though I didn’t like it.

After a long time of walking, there was
a lot of noise and big men were shouting at us.
I was scared and held onto Mama’s leg.
Mama said “be strong, little one, hold my hand.”

We walked where the big men told us to
and there were a lot of people around us.
All I could see were their legs.

Then one man crouched down and
smiled at me like he was angry.
I didn’t smile back ‘cause I was scared.
He held out his arms to pick me up,
but I didn’t like him, so I asked Mama
to pick me up.

She bent down to pick me up,
but the man took me instead.
He started to take me away, so
I held out my arms to Mama, but
she didn’t come to me.
She turned away, even though
I called to her.
“I’m a good boy, Mama, don’t go!”

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

“Mama, I'm holding out my arms.
Mama? . . . where are you?"





No comments:

Post a Comment